Project Linus’ mission is to provide love, security, warmth and comfort to ill or traumatized children. If you are excited about what we do, you can help. Most of the donations we receive are handmade blankets. But Project Linus is not just for crafters. We can use help with organizing events, fundraising, delivering blankets, publicizing our efforts, and more. All you need is an interest in joining a caring group of individuals making kids’ dark days brighter.
If you would like to make blankets…..
We accept handmade blankets: quilted, crocheted, knitted, and finished edge (crocheted, tied/tabbed) fleece. Commercially manufactured or purchased blankets are not accepted.
If you are unable or not interested in attending meetings, you can still donate blankets.
If you would like to purchase items from our wish list…..
To make more than 2000 blankets a year, a lot of supplies are used. Donations of raw materials are most welcome, especially since many of our members are on fixed incomes. Since these blankets are mostly given to ill children, we can only accept new (not recycled) supplies.
Please remember that we can only use NEW and UNUSED items.
- Acrylic yarn
- Kid friendly colors (Please no super dark colors, like black, as it can be hard to work with)
- NO: wool, wool blends, mohair, cotton, chenille, fun fur, rug yarn, lace, Starbella scarf yarn
- NO: super chunky (weights above 5 are too bulk for children’s blankets)
- Example brands: Red Heart, Bernat Baby
- Preferred Type: Blizzard or anti-pill
- Preferred Size: A yard and a half of 45 inch wide fleece
- Quilt fabrics
- Preferred Patterns: Kid-friendly prints or solids
- Preferred Materials: 100% cotton or poly-cotton blends (No knits, silk, twill, wool, corduroy)
- Preferred Size: One yard pieces or larger
- Quilt batting
- Preferred Sizes: Craft, crib, twin
- Preferred Packaging: Roll or pre-packaged bag
- Preferred Types: Polyester (example: Mountain Mist) or cotton (example: Warm and Natural, Warm and White). Please note we are not able to use polyester fiberfill which is loose and used for stuffing animals
- Gift cards
- A. C. Moore
- Hobby Lobby
- Jo-Ann Fabrics
- Thread spools (any color except black)
- Rotary cutters and blades
- Safety pins
- Tape measures
- Seam rippers
- Crochet hooks
- Knitting needles
- Garbage bags (unscented)
If you would like to make a monetary donation…..
If you don’t have the time to help, consider making a donation. Your gift will be used to pay chapter expenses and purchase supplies. Many of our volunteers are on fixed incomes and appreciate not having to always pay for blanket making materials. Wondering how many blankets can be made with your donation? See our blanket cost estimator.
Monetary donations can be dropped off at the front office of Cypress Lake Presbyterian Church in an envelope labeled “Project Linus / Matilda Wilson” or mailed to the church. (Be sure to include your name too!) Checks should be made out to “Project Linus.” More on the organization’s donation policies and how funds are used can be found on the national HQ website.
If you would like to fulfill service hours requirements…..
We hope to regularly work with scouts and other clubs on providing rewarding and valuable opportunities that meet service hours requirements. Before organizing your event, please contact us about setting up a program that meets your needs. As a chapter of a national organization, there are limits imposed on what we can sign off on, especially if we are contacted after an event has taken place that did not include a representative from our chapter.
If you would like to organize a community service day…..
Make-a-Blanket-Days are a great and enjoyable way to bring group members together. If your club is interested in helping our chapter either by making blankets or holding a fundraiser, contact us for more information.
If you aren’t sure how you would like to help…..
Interested, but still not sure how you would like to help?
- What about….?
- holding a fundraiser (bake sale, craft fair)?
- hosting a yarn drive?
- sponsoring a Make-a-Blanket Day?
- honoring someone special by sponsoring a blanket or collecting squares to be turned into a blanket?
- asking your employer or civic organization you admire to make a donation?
- promoting Project Linus to friends and family members who enjoy knitting, crocheting, or quilting. Even if they are not in Southern FL, they may enjoy joining a chapter in their area.
- connecting with us on social media?
- sharing our social media posts?
- joining our newsletter?
Send us a note about yourself and interests and we’ll be in touch.